Product Recall Information
GE Dishwasher Recall (1983–1989 models)
Thank you for visiting the General Electric dishwasher recall site. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, GE Appliances has supplemented its recall to include either a free rewiring of the slide switch or a rebate toward the purchase of a new dishwasher. The slide-type switch for the "heated dry/energy saver" function can melt or ignite, presenting a fire hazard. GE and the CPSC have received reports of approximately 90 incidents, with 14 cases of fire escaping the dishwasher. Approximately 10 incidents have occurred since the recall announcement in October 1999.
To determine if your dishwasher is included in the recall, call the recall hotline at 1-800-599-2929. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET.
Which dishwashers are affected?
Only certain GE and Hotpoint dishwashers that were manufactured between April 1983 and January 1989 were affected. In order to determine if your dishwasher is affected, you will need to know the model and serial number of your GE or Hotpoint dishwasher. To find out if your model is affected, please follow the directions below.
Open your dishwasher door completely so that you can see inside. The rectangular tag showing the model and serial number is located either on the right or left inside edge of the tub.
The affected GE and Hotpoint dishwashers have the following model and serial numbers:
|Model number begins with:||Serial Number:|
|Serial Numbers containing A, M, R, S, T, V, Z as the second character.|
If the model and serial number matches the above description, then your dishwasher is affected by this recall. Please write your model and serial number down. You will need this information for the rebate form or to schedule service. General Electric offers several options for dishwashers impacted by this recall.
If your dishwasher is included in the recall, you have two options:
A free re-wiring of your dishwasher to bypass the slide switch.
A cash rebate toward the purchase of a new dishwasher:
- $75 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE brand dishwasher.
- $100 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE Profile™ brand dishwasher.
- $125 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE Profile Performance™ brand dishwasher.
- $25 cash refund toward the purchase of any new Hotpoint or non-GE dishwasher, plus a free one-year service agreement from GE, to take effect after the expiration of the manufacturer's express warranty.
To qualify for these rebates you must provide:
- A copy of a receipt showing purchase of the new dishwasher from a retail store.
- The model and serial numbers from the old dishwasher. Remember to remove the serial label from your old dishwasher prior to disposing of it.
- A signed statement that the old unit has been replaced.
This program is available only to those consumers who purchase new dishwashers from retail stores. It is not available to those customers who purchase appliances directly from GE Appliances through bulk or special orders.
Call 1-800-599-2929 to discuss your options if this applies to you. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET.
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET.
Before calling, have the model and serial numbers on hand.