| GE does extensive taste and odor testing on all of its refrigerators and freezers.
Your refrigerator does not contain any mechanical parts that will produce an odor or cause a bad taste in your food or ice cubes.
When the refrigerator is new, there is a plastic odor because most components inside are made plastic. This odor will dissipate with time.
Odors can be difficult to get rid of because the refrigerator is an enclosed area.
To clean the walls and shelves we recommend a solution of:
Note: Do not use bleach or ammonia. This can crack or damage the refrigerator liner. Also, cleaning products with a lemon scent are not recommended because the lemon odor may be permanently absorbed in the plastic parts of the refrigerator and may affect the food. You can spray under the refrigerator with Lysol spray for odor also. Please consult the Owner's Manual for further cleaning instructions. Download a free copy of the Owner's Manual and/or Installation Instructions.
- One tablespoon of baking soda
- One quart of warm water
The odors or tastes come from food items placed in the refrigerator or freezer, such as unwrapped food or spills on the shelves or walls.
- GE recommends you check all foods to make sure they are covered and airtight.
- You may also use Smells BeGone 12 fl ozs. (wx10x25), a deodorizer spray that is unscented, nontoxic, nonstaining and nonallergenic which destroys odors and kills bacteria without leaving a fragrance behind.
- Other methods for removing odors and tastes include:
- Place a box of baking soda in the fresh food compartment and the freezer compartment to absorb odors. Replace the baking soda according to the instructions on the box.
- Activated charcoal is available in drug stores, or more commonly, in pet stores. Spread the activated charcoal in a small pan (such as a jellyroll pan) and place it in the refrigerator and/or the freezer. When the charcoal loses its effectiveness, it can be heated on low heat in the oven for a couple of hours to rejuvenate it.
Activated charcoal is not the same as charcoal briquettes used for cooking on a grill.
- Vanilla extract can be used to freshen the fresh food compartment, but not the freezer (because it will freeze). Place it in a small dish or saucer and place in the fresh food compartment for about 3 weeks.