|The water filter cartridge location may vary by model. The majority of water filters are found in the back upper right corner of the refrigerator compartment. Please consult your owner's manual for the specific location for your model. Download a free copy of the Owner's Manual
Some models have a replacement indicator light for the water filter cartridge on the dispenser. These indicator lights vary by model. Please consult your owner's manual for specifics for your refrigerator. Download a free copy of the Owner's Manual
When there is no filter replacement indicator light, we recommend a filter change every six months, or if the flow of water to the water dispenser or icemaker decreases, whichever comes first.
Removing the Filter Cartridge
If you are replacing the cartridge, first remove the old one by slowly turning it to the left. Do not pull down on the cartridge. You may see a small amount of water drip down.
Installing the Filter Cartridge
Follow these directions:
- If you are replacing a SmartWater cartridge MWF or GWF that is connected with an adapter, the adapter must be removed before installing the new cartridge. To remove the adapter, turn it to the left about ¼ turn.
If you are replacing a Water by Culligan cartridge FXRC, leave the adapter in place. This adapter will stay in the refrigerator when you replace the future cartridges.
Note: SmartWater filters with the adapter do replace the Water by Culligan filters. SxS water filter models made before 2001 must have an adapter in order to use the current water filter.
- On models without a replacement indicator light, apply the month and year sticker or indicate on cartridge the month and year of the new cartridge to remind you to replace the filter every six months.
- Fill the replacement cartridge with water from the tap to allow for better flow from the dispenser immediately after installation.
- Slowly turn it to the right until the filter cartridge stops. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. As you turn the cartridge, it will automatically raise itself into position. The cartridge will move about ½ turn.
- Run water from the dispenser for 3 minutes (about 1 ½ gallons) to clear the system and prevent sputtering.
- Reset the indicator light. To do so on some models, press and hold the RESET WATER FILTER pad on the dispenser for 3 seconds until the light goes off or turns green. Please consult your owner's manual for specific reset instructions for your refrigerator. Download a free copy of the Owner's Manual
Note: If you do not hold the Reset pad long enough, the light will stay on or remain red. If you hold the Rest pad too long, the light will go off and then come back on.
Note: A newly installed water filter cartridge may cause water to spurt from the dispenser.
Replacing filters on top freezer models: Click Here
Replacing filters on bottom mount models: Click Here
To order additional filter cartridges - Purchase a GE part online or call us at 1.800.626.2002.