Last Updated August 30, 2017
Revision for compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that will come into effect on May 25, 2018 across the EU/EEA. Additional changes will, however, likely be necessary when further relevant regulatory guidance is issued.
Haier US Appliance Solutions, Inc. DBA GE Appliances is responsible for collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. Contact details can be found in the section 'How to Contact Us' below.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We may need to collect and use some of the information listed below because we are either legally required to do so or because we need it to provide the requested services to you. If you do not provide the information that we ask for, we may not be able to provide you with the requested services.
PRODUCT AND ACCOUNT REGISTRATION
When you register a product or an account with GE Appliances, we ask you to provide your name, address, phone number, email address, and your product's model number, serial number and purchase date. You are required to provide this information so that we can register your product or account.
If you schedule a service call or delivery, make a consumer inquiry, or email us, we may collect your name, telephone number, and email address so we can respond to your questions and comments. You may choose to provide additional information as well, such as the model and/or serial number of your product, the date your product was purchased and/or installed, or the nature of your issue or question.
GE APPLIANCES STORE/GE PARTS STORE
To provide access to members of the GE Appliances Store and GE Appliance Parts Store, we may ask you to furnish your authorization code, name, address, phone number and email address. When making a purchase, we may ask for your contact information, including your name, postal address, phone number, email address and your payment information, including your credit card number and billing information.
If you choose to participate in our promotional activities, such as rebates, contests and other similar promotions, we may collect your name, email address, and your telephone number to administer your participation. We may also collect additional information, such as the model and/or serial number of your product, and the date your product was purchased and/or installed, so that we can confirm that you qualify to take part in a specific promotional activity (e.g., when a promotional activity is available only for users of certain products or services). Some of these activities have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your personal information.
THROUGH APPLICATIONS & OTHER ONLINE ACTIVITIES
QUESTIONNAIRES AND SURVEYS
We occasionally may ask visitors to our web site and consumers to complete online surveys and opinion polls about their activities, attitudes and interests. These surveys help us serve you better and improve the usefulness of our site. In conducting these surveys, we may ask you for your name and email address. We do not keep any personal information about you in connection with your participation in a GE Appliances survey unless you specifically agree to provide that information.
SEND CONTENT TO A FRIEND
You can send certain content to your friends. To do so, we ask you to provide your name and your friend's email address. We use this information to send the content to your friend.
If you use any location-enabled products, you may be sending us location information. GE Appliances does not store or use this information other than to provide the service you requested. For example, a mobile product may use GPS data to find a nearby dealer and/or service provider of our products. Location-enabled features for GE Appliances websites are opt-in and you have control over your participation and can turn these services off at any time.
We may collect personal information from you offline, such as when you visit our stores, interact with us or our distribution networks (including dealers and their related entities), or attend one of our trade shows/events. In this case, we will collect such personal information as you choose to provide to us. For example, if you want to receive additional information on one of our products or services via postal mail, we will collect your name and address so that we can send you the requested information.
INFORMATION FROM THIRD-PARTY SOURCES
We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources, such as such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected) and from other third parties (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. In addition, if you elect to connect your social media account to your web site account, certain personal information from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include personal information that is part of your profile or your friends' profiles.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the services or otherwise to us.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use the personal information collected about you for the following purposes:
- To provide, administer and communicate with you about products, services, events, surveys and promotions (including by sending you marketing communications);
- To contact you in the event of a service notification for your registered appliance or to provide other notices concerning the safety of your appliance regardless of your stated privacy preferences;
- To process, evaluate and respond to your requests, inquiries and applications;
- To provide you access to the GE Appliances Store and GE Appliance Parts Store websites;
- To confirm and process your order, provide you with updates regarding your order, process returns and contact you concerning your order;
- To create, administer and communicate with you about your account (including any purchases and payments);
- To personalize your experience on the services by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality;
- To verify your identity to ensure security for the other purposes listed here;
- To operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; performing market research; determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing; analyzing our products, services and websites; administering our websites; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- To protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure and quality;
- To ensure the safety of GE Appliances network services, information resources and employees.
We also may use personal information for other additional purposes, which we identify at the time of collection. You may choose not to provide us with certain types of information, but doing so may affect your ability to use some services.
We may need to collect and use some of the abovementioned information because we are either legally required to do so, or because we need it to provide the requested services to you (legitimate interest), or we have acquired your consent.
INFORMATION WE SHARE/DISCLOSE
Your personal information may be shared with:
- Third party service providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf. These service providers are contractually restricted from using or disclosing the information, except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements;
- The Haier family of companies;
- Third parties that may offer you products or services for purposes related to your purchase and use of a GE Appliances product, such as extended service plans;
- Third Party sponsors of events, contests, surveys and similar promotions;
We may also disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (which may include laws outside your country of residence), (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials (which may include authorities outside your country of residence), or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
We may furthermore use, disclose or transfer your personal information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may also use and disclose your personal information in other ways, with your consent.
INFORMATION WE TRANSFER
The services are controlled and operated by us from the United States of America. Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States of America, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personal information.
If you are located in the European Economic Area: Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here).
With regard to transfers to other countries, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your personal information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
THIRD PARTY ADVERTISING
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding products and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the services and other web sites or online services, based on information relating to your access to and use of the services and other websites or online services on any of your devices, as well as on information received from third parties. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags). They may also use these technologies, along with information they collect about your online use, to recognize you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone and a laptop.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
We provide links to other web sites for your convenience and information. These sites may have their own privacy statements in place, which we recommend you review if you visit any linked web sites. We are not responsible for the content of linked sites or any use of the sites.
This web site is not directed to children under the age of sixteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of sixteen on GE Appliances web sites. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of sixteen on a GE Appliances web site, we will delete the information from our records. Some links on GE Appliances web sites may take web site visitors to sites that are directed to children. These web sites have their own privacy policies that address children's privacy. We encourage you to read these privacy policies if you visit any linked sites directed to children.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may update your email preferences at any time by clicking the "Manage Subscriptions" link in the footer of any email we send you. You can also request to opt-out of the use of your personal information by GE Appliances, as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
- Receiving telephone or direct mail communications: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related telephone or direct mail communications from us on a going-forward basis, you may reach us as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
- Our sharing of your personal information with affiliates for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your personal information on a going-forward basis with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
- Our sharing of your personal information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes related to your purchase and use of a GE Appliances product: If you would prefer that we not share your personal information on a going-forward basis with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes related to your purchase and use of a GE Appliances product, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages that you cannot opt-out from.
For information about our mobile SMS Terms and Conditions, including how to opt-in or opt-out of receiving mobile alert updates or notices, please consult our SMS Terms and Conditions page.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS, CHANGE OR SUPPRESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress/restrict or delete personal information that you have previously provided to us, or if you would like to request that we transfer your personal information to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us as outlined in the section titled 'How to Contact Us'.
In your request, please make clear what personal information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the personal information provided until after the completion of such purchase or promotion). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
We keep your personal information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) for as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you (such as delivery of products or services, an online account, receiving our newsletter); as required by a legal obligation to which we are subject to; or as advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard of applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect against unauthorized disclosure, use, alteration or destruction of the personal information you provide on this web site. We use secure socket layer (SSL) technology and other technologies to help keep the personal information you provide on this site secure. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the 'How to Contact Us' section below.
You have the right at all times to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Please note that GE Appliances reserves the right to contact you in the event of a safety or quality-related issue with your registered appliance regardless of your stated privacy preferences.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
In accordance with California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (also known as the 'Shine The Light' law), GE Appliances makes the following disclosure:
In the previous calendar year, GE Appliances has disclosed the personal information of its consumers to the following third party for direct marketing purposes:
Federal Warranty Service Corporation,
an Assurant Solutions company
260 Interstate N Circle SE
Atlanta, GA 30339-2228
Information Provided: Full Name, Address, Telephone, E-mail, Product Ownership/Registration Details, Opt-Out Preferences.
Federal Warranty Service Corporation markets and sells extended service contracts for GE Appliances products under the Assurant Solutions name.