1. Which Dishwashers are Affected?
Only certain GE and Hotpoint dishwashers that were manufactured between April 1983 and January 1989 were affected. In order to determine if your dishwasher is affected, you will need to know the model and serial number of your GE or Hotpoint dishwasher. To find out if your model is affected, please follow the directions below.
2. How To Locate the Serial Number and Model Number
Open your dishwasher door completely so that you can see inside. The rectangular tag showing the model and serial number is located either on the right or left inside edge of the tub as shown below.
The only models that are affected by the recall are the GE and Hotpoint dishwashers that were manufactured between April 1983 and January 1989. The affected GE and Hotpoint dishwashers have the following model and serial numbers:
||Serial Numbers containing A, M, R, S, T, V, Z as the second character.
Note: The second character of your recalled dishwasher's serial number must contain one of the listed letters. Here is an example: FM234567
If the model and serial number matches the above description, then your dishwasher is affected by this recall. Please write your model and serial number down. You will need this information for the on-line rebate form. General Electric offers several options for dishwashers impacted by this recall.
3. Recall Options
GE is voluntarily offering qualified consumers two options:
1. A free re-wiring of your dishwasher to bypass the slide switch.
2. A cash rebate toward the purchase of a new dishwasher:
- A $75 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE brand dishwasher.
- A $100 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE Profile™ brand dishwasher.
- A $125 cash rebate certificate toward the purchase of any new GE Profile Performance™ brand dishwasher.
- A $25 cash refund toward the purchase of any new Hotpoint or non-GE dishwasher, plus a free one-year service agreement from GE, to take effect after the expiration of the manufacturer's express warranty.
NOTE: To qualify for these rebates you must provide:
1. A copy of a receipt showing purchase of the new dishwasher from a retail store.
2. The model and serial numbers from the old dishwasher.
3. A signed statement that the old unit has been replaced.
This program is available only to those consumers who purchase new dishwashers from retail stores. It is not available to those customers who purchase appliances directly from GE Appliances through bulk or special orders. Call 1-800-599-2929 to discuss your options if this applies to you. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET.
If your dishwasher is affected by this recall you can either arrange for free re-wiring or obtain a rebate certificate packet by completing the following online form. Remember to remove the serial label from your old dishwasher prior to disposing of it.
* Requires Adobe ® Reader ®
If you have any questions, please see our Questions & Answers 1-800-599-2929 for further information. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET.