DAMARIS PHILLIPS - Herb Toasted Turkey
Herb Toasted Turkey
For a turkey that's golden brown, juicy and flavorful, follow this simple turkey recipe. The secret to the crispy, deliciously toasted skin is the herbed butter with lemon, thyme, sage, and rosemary brushed on before baking.
3 - 4 Hours
For the herbed butter:
1 stick salted butter
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, sage and rosemary leaves
1 fresh turkey (12 pounds)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 bunch fresh sage
1 bunch rosemary
1 whole lemon, halved
1 onion, quartered
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
If you're using a GE oven with our new Precision Turkey Mode, there is no need to preheat! If using traditional roasting methods, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Make the herbed butter by melting the butter. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and herbs. Set aside.
Prepare the turkey by removing the giblets. Dry inside and outside using paper towels. Season the interior liberally with salt. Add the thyme, sage, rosemary, lemon, onion, garlic to the cavity. Tie the legs using butcher twine and tuck the wig tips.
Sprinkle the outside of the turkey liberally with salt and pepper. Brush on the melted butter mixture. Place the turkey in a roasting pan.
Place in the oven and roast until breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees on a digital thermometer. Total roasting time will depend on the size of your bird. For a smaller turkey plan on 1.5-3 hours; a larger bird will take 3-4 hours.
Roasting with Turkey Mode
If using a GE oven with Turkey Mode, insert the thermometer probe into the thigh/breast making sure not to touch the bone. Then use your SmartHQ app to set the oven to Precision Cooking > Meat > Whole Turkey, following the prompts. When the turkey is in the oven, plug in the other end of the temperature probe. The oven will alert you when the turkey is done (cooking time will vary depending on the size of your turkey; refer to the guide below). If the turkey is getting too browned during roasting, tent with aluminum foil.
Remove the turkey from the oven, cover with foil and let stand for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Expected Cook Time By Turkey Size
< 12 lbs.
1.25 hours – 2.5 hours
12 - 16 lbs.
1.25 hours – 3.5 hours
1.5 hours – 3.75 hours
20 - 24 lbs.
2 hours – 4 hours
> 24 lbs.
2.25 hours – 4.5 hours
NOTE: This recipe was created specifically for our GE Ranges and Ovens with Turkey Mode. Method and results may differ on other ovens. The key to the best result using Turkey Mode is the placement of the probe.
Here’s how to do it:
- Probe tip should be inserted into the deepest part of the turkey breast.
- Push the probe as far down into the turkey as possible without touching the bone. The gray handle should touch the skin of the turkey.
- Pay attention to the angle of the probe—the tip should be placed in the thickest part of the turkey which is the slowest heating spot.
- The probe tip should not point outwards, touch the turkey cavity, or poke through to the surface of the turkey.
- When placing your pan in the oven, refer either to the SmartHQ app or the LCD screen for rack placement. Generally, it should be placed low in the oven.
- Turn your pan if you need to—the probe wire should not be strained.
- For added assurance your turkey is ready, double check the turkey with a second thermometer to ensure that all spots are properly cooked. According to your doneness preferences you may continue cooking your turkey under the same settings. If you canceled the Turkey Mode, you can always restart it.